Win a One-On-One Critique with World-Renowned Photojournalist Ron Haviv
Ron Haviv has spent the last three decades of his life covering more than 25 conflicts and working in over 100 countries. When speaking to Ron, you’d never guess that he is an Emmy nominated and award-winning photojournalist because of his relaxed style and dry humor. He is also a co-founder of VII, a photo agency started in 2001 by seven photojournalists which currently represents 19 of the world’s preeminent photojournalists who are committed to documenting conflict and raising awareness to human rights issues around the globe.
Ron’s cool demeanor and humble tone don’t allude to his critically acclaimed collections of photography or that his work has been featured in the Louvre, the United Nations, and the Council on Foreign Relations. His recent book, The Lost Rolls, was created from over 200 rolls of undeveloped film Ron found that spanned over twenty years of his photojournalism career. His experience is vast and his knowledge is garnered from years of travel and CreativeLive now has the honor of working with him for Your Photojournalism Survival Kit on January 22, 2016.
In this one day, live class, Ron brings over two decades of experience to the CreativeLive audience through engaging stories and inspiring anecdotes. He will teach you how to find your voice as a photojournalist, to craft a budget and a pitch letter using Ron’s own templates, what to do before you leave for a trip (who to contact, what to prepare for, etc.), and how to take care of yourself when you get home (mentally and emotionally). If you want to be part of the in-studio audience in Seattle, apply here.
In addition to this class, you can enter for a chance to WIN a one-on-one critique with Ron for feedback on your best pitch letter for your dream photojournalism project. To enter this contest submit a one page pitch letter to CreativeLive and Ron Haviv will select the winner. You and Ron will work one-on-one to critique and discuss it. Of course we don’t want your brilliant idea to be compromised, so the winning pitch letter will not be shown on air. Instead, broad lessons from the winner’s one-on-one with Ron will be discussed in the live class on January 22nd, 2016.
If you would like to have your pitch letter critiqued by Ron, send a file (.PDF, .doc, .docx, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 19th, 2016 for your chance to win. Only the winner will be contacted.
See the complete contest rules below.
Pitch Letter Crtitique Contest – Win a Virtual Critique Session with Ron Haviv
Enter for a chance to win a one-on-one critique via Skype with Ron Haviv for feedback on your best pitch letter for your dream photojournalism project.
OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES, D.C. AND CANADA WHO AT THE TIME OF ENTRY ARE AGE 18 OR OLDER AND OF THE LEGAL AGE OF MAJORITY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- ELIGIBILITY: The Pitch Letter Critique Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia, and Canada who as of the date of entry are eighteen (18) years of age or older and of the legal age of majority in the jurisdiction in which the entrant resides. Current employees of CreativeLive, Inc. (“Sponsor”) or any of Sponsor’s parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates or advertising, promotion and Internet agencies, and members of the immediate family or household of any such employee, are not eligible. U.S. and Canadian law govern this Contest. Void where prohibited by law.
- HOW TO ENTER: The entry period for the Contest begins at 9:30 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on January 6, 2016 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on January 19, 2016. (the “Entry Period”). To enter the Contest, entrants must email email@example.com and provide the following in the body of the email: (1) his or her name; (2) e-mail address; (3) telephone number; (4) mailing address; (5) date of birth AND attach their Pitch Letter as a PDF attachment to the email (the “Pitch Letter”). The entrant’s entry email must comply with the terms and conditions of these Official Rules (including without limitation all guidelines contained in Section 3 below). Website entries must be submitted and received by Sponsor prior to the conclusion of the Entry Period. Limit one (1) entry per person and per email address. Eligible entrants who submit an entry into the Contest in accordance with the above terms and conditions prior to the conclusion of the Entry Period will receive one (1) entry into the Contest.
- PITCH LETTER GUIDELINES: The Pitch Letter must be original and have been created solely by the entrant. In addition, each Pitch Letter must comply with the following guidelines: (a) the Pitch Letter must not describe the entrant engaging in or otherwise promoting any illegal, violent, dangerous or discriminatory behavior or contain any material that is threatening, indecent, violent, obscene or offensive, or that promotes a political agenda; (b) the entrant must own the copyright in the Pitch Letter; (c) the Pitch Letter must not previously have been previously published or won any award; (d) the Pitch Letter must not contain any material that violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party, including without limitation any copyright, trademark or right of privacy or publicity, or that defames any person, or that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to any applicable law or regulation, or whose use by the Licensees (as defined in Section 6) as permitted pursuant to Section 6 requires a license or permission from or payment to any third party; and (e) the Pitch Letter must not contain any material that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, deems inappropriate for public viewing and/or display. By emailing the Pitch Letter to the designated email in Section 2 above, the entrant represents and warrants that he or she has complied with all of the foregoing requirements and has obtained all permissions, licenses and consents that are necessary for the submission of the Pitch Letter and the use of the Pitch Letter as permitted pursuant to Section 6 and to verify compliance with the foregoing requirements. The entrant agrees to provide to Sponsor at Sponsor’s request copies of all such permissions, licenses and consents. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Pitch Letter that Sponsor determines does not comply with these guidelines and/or to require or permit an entrant to make such changes to any Pitch Letter as are necessary to make it compliant.
- WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: Following the conclusion of the Entry Period, one (1) potential Contest winner will be selected by Ron Haviv (the “Judge”) from among all eligible entries received during the Entry Period, by applying the following criteria to the entrant’s Pitch Letter, weighted as indicated: (a) research and writing (33%); (b) ability to achieve results (33%) and (c) ability to engage a publication (33%). In the event of a tie between any two Pitch Letters, the Pitch Letter with the highest score in the “ability to achieve results” category will be deemed the higher scoring entry. The odds of winning will depend on the number and quality of eligible entries received. The potential winner will be notified on or about January 21, 2016 by mail, telephone and/or e-mail, at Sponsor’s discretion. If the potential winner cannot be reached within forty-eight (48) hours of the initial notification attempt, he or she may be disqualified and an alternate potential winner selected. The potential winner is subject to verification of eligibility and Sponsor will have the right, in its discretion to require that the entrant (i) submit proof of identity and/or eligibility in a form acceptable to Sponsor (including, without limitation, government-issued photo identification) and/or (ii) complete and return to Sponsor an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity/Liability Release (collectively, a “Declaration and Release” for residents of Canada), within forty eight (48) hours of attempted delivery of same. If any attempted notification or prize delivery is returned as undeliverable or if the potential winner fails to respond to any notification attempt and/or fails to complete, sign, and return any documentation required by Sponsor within the time period specified above, does not meet the eligibility requirements set forth in Section 1, or is not compliant with these Official Rules, the potential winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner selected.
- PRIZE: One (1) Contest Prize will be awarded. The Contest Prize consists of the following:
- Restrictions may apply. All prize details will be determined by Sponsor in its discretion. The aggregate ARV of the prize is $500.00. The exact value will depend on market conditions at the time of prize fulfillment. Sponsor is not responsible for any cancellation or postponement of any of the activities that are expected to comprise part of the prize. In the event of cancellation or postponement of any prize-related activity, Sponsor’s only obligation will be to provide a substitute prize or prizes of equal or greater value selected by Sponsor in its discretion. The prize will be awarded if properly claimed. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of the right to receive the prize or any component thereof is permitted, except in the discretion of Sponsor, which reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize component of equal or greater value selected by Sponsor in its discretion. The prize consists only of the items expressly specified in these Official Rules. All expenses or costs associated with the acceptance or use of the prize or any component thereof that are not expressly specified in these Official Rules as being part of the prize are the responsibility of the winner. Each component of the prize is awarded “as is” and without any warranty other than as required by law. FOR U.S. RESIDENTS: All federal, state and local taxes on the value of the prize are the responsibility of the winner. Winner will be required to provide Sponsor with a completed IRS form W-9. An IRS form 1099 will be issued in the winner’s name if required by law.
- GRANT OF RIGHTS: By entering the Contest, each entrant irrevocably grants Sponsor and its parent companies, subsidiaries and affiliates, and the agents and licensees of each of the foregoing (collectively, the “Licensees”) the right to use the entrant’s name, likeness, voice, and/or biographical information, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats whether now or later known or developed, for commercial purposes and any other purposes (including, without limitation, advertising and promotion), without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- RELEASE AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: The Licensees and all other companies involved in the development or operation of the Contest or the provision of the prize or any component thereof, and the successors and assigns of each of the foregoing, and the officers, directors, employees and agents of each of the foregoing (collectively, the “Released Parties”) are not responsible for, and will have no liability for, (a) late, lost, delayed, illegible, damaged, corrupted, postage-due or incomplete entries, incorrect or inaccurate capture of, damage to, or loss of entries or entry information, or any other human or technical errors of any kind relating to the operation of the Website, communications or attempted communications with any entrant, the submission, collection, storage or processing of entries or the administration of the Contest, (b) any “act of god” or other force majeure event outside of Sponsor’s control that may cause any postponement or cancellation of any prize-related activity or any component of the prize, (c) undeliverable e-mails resulting from any form of active or passive e-mail filtering by a user’s Internet service provider and/or e-mail client or for insufficient space in user’s e-mail account to receive e-mail or (d) any damage to any computer system resulting from participation in or accessing or downloading information in connection with the Contest. By entering, each entrant releases and agrees to hold each of the Released Parties harmless from and against any and all claims and liabilities of any kind that the entrant ever had, now has or might in the future have arising out of or relating to the Contest, participation in the Contest, the acceptance, receipt or use of the prize or any component thereof (including without limitation any participation in or travel to any prize-related activity) and/or any use of the entrant’s name, likeness, voice and/or biographical information and/or any Photo, including without limitation all claims and liabilities based on any personal injury, property damage or loss or death or any violation of the right of publicity or privacy or infringement of copyright. Entrants assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in the Contest or the acceptance, receipt or use of the prize or any component thereof (including without limitation any participation in or travel to any prize-related activity). The Released Parties are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize. In no event will more than one (1) Contest Prize be awarded.
- GENERAL RULES: All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be verified or returned. By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THE CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE CONTENT OR LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) AND OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY PERSON OR PERSONS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify or prohibit from participating in the Contest any individual who, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, Sponsor determines or believes (i) has tampered with the entry process or has undermined the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception or other unfair playing practices, (ii) has engaged in conduct that annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants or any representative of Sponsor, or (iii) has attempted or intends to attempt any of the foregoing. The use of automated devices, programs or methods to submit entries is prohibited and Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entry that it believes may have been submitted using such an automated device, program or method. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest should a virus, bugs, entrant fraud or misconduct, or other cause beyond the control of the Sponsor corrupt the administration, integrity, security or proper operation thereof, or for any other reason as determined by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of an entrant, the entry will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry (i.e., the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address). Proof of submission does not constitute proof of entry. Entry times will be determined using Sponsor’s computer, which will be the official clock for the Contest. Normal time rates and/or data rates (as applicable), if any, charged by the entrant’s internet or mobile service provider will apply. In the event of termination of the Contest, a notice will be posted online and the Judges will select the winner in accordance with Section 4 from among all eligible entries received prior to the time of termination. All federal, state, provincial/territorial and local laws and regulations apply. By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees that (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest or the prize shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and by entering each entrant waives all rights to claim punitive, special, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrants and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Washington. Any legal proceedings arising out of the Contest or relating to these Official Rules shall be instituted only in the federal or state courts located in the State of Washington, King County, and the parties consent to jurisdiction therein with respect to any legal proceedings or disputes of whatever nature arising under or relating to these rules.
- WINNER’S NAME AND RULES REQUESTS: For the name of the winner, available after January 21, 2016, or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: The Project Pitch Letter Critique Contest, c/o CreativeLive, Inc., 757 Thomas St. Seattle, Washington 98109.
- SPONSOR: CreativeLive, Inc., Seattle, Washington.
Behind the Storytelling with Photographer Ed Kashi
JOIN THE COMMUNITY
Join millions of dreamers and doers who are upping their game every day. Sign up to access thousands of free lessons taught by industry greats.SIGN UP NOW
Watch Free Classes Now
Start learning for free today with our live and on air classes.