Mixing and Sound Design for Podcasters
with Jim Briggs
Log in or Sign up for FREE and get full access to these and thousands of other Open Lessons in our catalog! Watch 2 Lessons For Free
01 Class Introduction02:50
02 The Mix and how to Build It04:04
Class duration: 1h 24mSee all 10 lessons
About The Class
Demystify the Art of Mixing and Understand Each Stage of the Process
To be successful at podcasting, you’ve got to have a solid understanding of the mixing process and sound design. But even experienced producers can feel overwhelmed by the intricacies of mixing and the cornucopia of tools available to them.
Taught by Jim Briggs, lead sound designer and engineer for “Reveal,” this course covers all of the basic elements of a mix from top to bottom. Students will become conversant in the language of mixing, understand the workflow and various stages of the mixing process, and be ready to explore different mix tools so they can practice on their own.
In this class, you’ll learn how to:
- Approach equalization sculpting and compression packaging.
- Mix artfully and think musically about your finished product.
- Deal with all of the tools and avoid option anxiety.
- Know what your anchor is and how to build a mix.
- Work with studio voices to achieve consistency, continuity, and quality.
- Work with field voices, ambient sounds, and other tapes.
- Perform fades and crossfades.
- Utilize music so it adds depth to your podcast.
The Mix and how to Build It04:04
Working With Studio Voices16:43
Working with Field Voices and Tape12:53
What to Look Out for with Archival Tape16:03
A Quick Voice Editing Toolkit10:19
Sculpting Sounds: EQ Basics08:57
Taming Your Levels: Compression Basics02:58
The Notes Phase02:58
The Mix is a Relative Thing06:41
Similar classes you might like
You know who’d love this class...?
When gift-spiration strikes, grab it. Give this class to a friend who’d love it. For their birthday or just because. (Or just because you missed their birthday.)