Over time sweaters can lose their shape and their appeal, but through felting and yarn-making they can find a new purpose. In Making Fabric and Yarn with Sweaters, you’ll learn how to transform old tops into new and useful goods.
Blair Stocker is committed to bringing new meaning to old stuff. In this class, she’ll teach you two ways to transform old sweaters. First you’ll learn about felting – Blair will teach you how to:
- Assess the potential of the fabric
- Turn your wool sweater into felting fabric
- Shape felt into flowers
You’ll also learn how to disassemble a sweater and turn it back into yarn. You’ll learn how to:
- Unravel a sweater to preserve length
- Handle the materials so they are easy to reuse
- Get started on your next project with a simple crochet stitch
Not only is reusing existing materials good for the environment, it is also a great way to unwind and relax. Blair will offer tips on managing the process so it’s fun, mellow, and produces raw materials you’ll be excited to create with again.