In this two day series, Celebrated essayist and memoirist Joyce Maynard will take lessons from her first CreativeLive class Writing Your Story to the next level.
She’ll take you on a guided journey through the process of writing a 1,700 word personal essay and then will teach you how to transform it into a fascinating full-length memoir.
In How to Write a Personal Essay, Maynard will go through the steps of figuring out your big theme, creating a strong outline, identifying the beats of your narrative and writing a compelling column. By the end of this course, you’ll not only have an amazing essay, you’ll have a whole new skill set that will make your writing the best it’s ever been.
In How to Write a Full-Length Memoir, You’ll identify the major themes of your life and which one you want to explore. Then you’ll figure out who your characters are and their motivations, what the conflict of the story is, and how it will ultimately be resolved. Maynard will use both her own books and the work of students in the live audience to illustrate the writing process, giving you both the tools and the inspiration you need to translate your life into a fascinating memoir.
Take both classes and you’ll learn how to:
- Identify a single big idea and weave it through your narrative.
- Build an outline so you can structure your story and identify the beats.
- Figure out the stakes, conflict, discovery, transformation and redemption.
- Create interesting characters and understand their motives.
- Add cinematic elements to your story, including a climactic turning point.
- Identify the difference between “What happened?” and “What did it mean?”
- Maintain your point of view and not lose sight of your real story.