Mother’s Day DIY Gift Project: Succulent Rings
Our CreativeLive instructors are full of interesting information, but sometimes, we learn from our fellow students, too. At Kiana Underwood’s floral design course, Sheryl Tynes, owner and founder of Thistle and Bone, let it slip that she makes a pretty incredible non-traditional kind of plant-based art: Rings made with the buds from teeny succulents!
We asked Sheryl if she’d share a DIY tutorial for her rings with us — would’t they make a great Mother’s Day gift idea? — and, to our delight, she said yes. So here it is:
– 12-gauge Oasis Aluminum Wire (any color, which you can find online at floral supply vendors)
– Small pliers
– Floral cold glue (you can find this online at floral supply vendors or craft stores, too)
– Reindeer moss, which can be found at craft stores. Or, if you don’t have moss, you can use a leaf — just make sure it is a hardier type and will last a while. Get creative!
– A variety of succulents with smaller foliage
– Scissors or small garden clippers
– Use a pieces of floral aluminum wire about 8 inches long. Place the finger you are making the ring for in the middle of the wire and bend wire around finger leaving two long ends (image 2) .
– Bend each wire in an “L” shape (image 3). Spiral each end toward the ring base creating an armature to support succulents (images 4 and 5).
– Remove ring from finger. Use glue to attach a leaf or moss to the armature you created. It will take a few minutes for glue to dry. Trim moss to the shape of the ring.
– Glue succulents to moss or leaf, using larger pieces first. Allow all pieces to dry before you attach the next.
– Continue adding succulents until you have the desired look.
A final note:
Succulent rings are fragile, but with a little care you can enjoy your ring for months. Misting your ring occasionally will improve longevity.
See more of Sheryl’s uncommon botanical designs on Facebook.
Want to get the latest news and info about craft classes on CreativeLive? Sign-up for our craft email updates right here.
DIY Project: Make a Gorgeous Hanging Succulent Tower
Comments are closed.
JOIN THE COMMUNITY
Join millions of dreamers and doers who are upping their game every day. Sign up to access thousands of free lessons taught by industry greats.SIGN UP NOW
Watch Free Classes Now
Start learning for free today with our live and on air classes.