Try a Fast Class – now available to all CreativeLive subscribers! Fast Classes are shortened “highlight” versions of our most popular classes that let you consume 10+ hours in about 60 minutes. We’ve edited straight to the most popular moments, actionable techniques, and profound insights into bite-sized chunks– so you can easily find and focus on what matters most to you. (And of course, you can always go back to the full class for a deep dive into your favorite parts.)
Full-length class: Minimalist Photography with Curtis Jones
SUBSCRIBE TO CREATIVELIVE and cue up this class and other FAST CLASS classes anytime.
AFTER THIS CLASS YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Understand and apply the fundamentals of creating strong minimalist compositions.
- Use negative space with intention. Establish mood, control balance in your frame, and elevate your subject from the visual clutter.
- Avoid common traps that can lead to flat or boring minimalist images.
- Explore how much information to keep and how much to take away from the image before it loses impact.
- Understand common gear and technique choices that complement the minimalist style.
ABOUT CURTIS' CLASS:
Do you ever wonder why certain photographs linger with the viewer long after they see them? Why sometimes the smallest point of interest makes the biggest impression? How so much “nothing” can feel so compelling in a scene? Minimalism photography techniques can add a powerful storytelling element to any genre, they can evoke emotion, and bring balance to your frame. Using Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic as his backdrop, this class will outline Curtis’s approach to creating stronger images with a minimalist mindset.
Learn to use the creative techniques of minimalism to intentionally account for every inch of your frame. Discover how to minimize clutter, work with negative space, and master visual balance to boost the overall impact of your compositions. Working in a clean visual style students will learn to look for strong anchors, shapes, and lines while eliminating visual distractions. Curtis will share his experiences and images from some of the world’s most remote destinations to help kick-start your journey toward simplified, cleaner photographs that capture the essence of our world.
WHO THIS CLASS IS FOR:
- Beginner and intermediate photographers interested in outdoor and landscape photography.
- Photographers who want to understand and create with elements of minimalism to help capture the strength and essence of your subject.
- Photographers looking to create cleaner, simplified images that leave an impact on the viewer.
Adobe Lightroom Classic (8.4.1)
Adobe Photoshop CC (20.0.8)