Stamps are a versatile craft that can be used to accent everything from professional documents, letterheads and envelopes, to scrapbooks and children’s craft projects. Depending on your needs there are a number of ways to make a stamp:
- Use a Template: If you’re new to stamp making, you can start with a template. Simply find a design you like, or create it yourself in Photoshop.
- Draw and Carve: Draw something completely unique directly onto rubber and then carve.
- Mixed Media Stamps: Find unique shapes or textures and use them as stamps. This is a fun way to incorporate stamps into children’s art projects.
- Design Online: If you’re a graphic designer looking for a refined design with clean edges for your logo or letterhead, you can design your stamp with an online vendor.
How to make a rubber stamp in four easy steps:
- Draw or stencil your design onto a rubber carving block.
- Refine your drawing by completing lines, creating a defined pattern to carve.
- Using a set of linoleum cutters, carefully cut out the lines of your design. Remove negative spaces where you don’t want ink transfer to occur.
- Apply ink to your stamp and test. Refine edges and detailing as needed.
How to make a stamp without carving
- Buy foam letters, animals and shapes from your local craft store.
- Using glue, mount them to any object that’s easy to hold. For small hands, we recommend wooden blocks or empty M&M Mini’s containers.
- Apply ink and let the fun begin!