You don’t need culinary training to become a great cake decorator. Whether you’re interested in running a cake decorating business out of your home, or just looking to wow your friends and family with your baking skills, online cake decorating classes are a fun and flexible way to hone your skills.
These 5 Steps will help you learn how to decorate a cake at home:
- Decide what kind of icing you’ll be using. The most popular kinds of icing for cakes are buttercream, fondant, meringue and mirror glaze.
- Draw your design on paper. This will help you stick to a plan, and allow you to prepare different icing consistencies or practice off the cake.
- Freeze your cake. One step you should always take before icing is to freeze your cake. This will help reduce crumble if your icing with a spatula or knife.
- Invest in a spinning cake stand. You’ll get a more even finish on your icing if you cake work the entire surface without having to constantly adjust its position on the table.
- Watch a free lesson from CreativeLive instructors like Linda Larson and learn how to ice with buttercream, how create figurine cake toppers, create gorgeous gum paste flowers and get started using fondant icing.